Monday, December 20, 2010

Statistics Visualization

One of the problems, I think, with science education is visualization. By this I mean the ability to take data and transform it into a good representative metaphorical representation so that it can be understood. The best scientists can do this with raw information. Many of us that are familiar with managing data can do it fairly well but stumble.

Those without the skills are forced to rely on anecdotal evidence-- which is no evidence at all. Personally, I think this is at the root of a lot of American problems including understanding evolution, climate change, vaccination and economics.

The BBC is doing a documentary on the joy of statistics. Part of the documentary directly involves visualization. (Terrific visualization here.) Brought to my attention by the , brought to my attention by Bioephemnera.

Visualization is the key to understanding and understanding science is the key to human survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment