Monday, December 10, 2012

Google takes one more step toward evil

I received an email from Google today:

"Starting today, we're no longer accepting new sign-ups for the free version of Google Apps (the version you're currently using). Because you're already a customer, this change has no impact on your service, and you can continue to use Google Apps for free."
Note that Gmail is a Google app as listed on the business site.

But I'm grandfathered in because I'm an existing user. That's supposed to make me feel comfy and warm, I suppose.

Of course I can upgrade to business apps any time for $60/year. ($5/month! It's a bargain!)

What can I surmise from this? One or more of the following:

  1. The Google model of doing things for free and basing them on advertising revenue is failing.
  2. The acquisitions Google has made haven't been paying off.
  3. Someone has to pay for the billion dollars Google has invested in clean energy.
  4. Google+ is not working.
If I had to bet it would be on number 1. I have to admit I don't even see the Google ads on sites unless they actually obscure what I'm looking at. Which, of course, makes we wonder on the actual value of ads at all. I don't see them on sites. I fast forward them on TV. I skip them as soon as possible on Youtube. 

I use Google sites, Google blogger and GMail. If I were pressed against the wall I might consider paying the $60/year for it but it would be with great reluctance and considerable searching to make sure it's the right fit. 

As it is I just use Google because it's free. Not because it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment