Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Omni Geo Memento Mori

I had three favorite cars: my 1968 Volkswagen Beetle, 1986 4WD Toyota Corolla and my 1997 Geo Metro.

Sad to say I totaled all three of them.

Not to say they're the only cars I totaled. Just the ones I liked.

The Little Green Guy bought the farm on this rainy Friday. Came up to the stoplight for Cambridge Street in Brighton. The BMW in front of me went. I went. The BMW put on his brakes. I put on my brakes. He stopped. I didn't. Bang.

I drove him (using the term loosely) to the mechanic. He was put on the lift and the mechanic and I saw that the steel support portion of the body that served as the support for the wheel was eroded. I suppose it's better to for the front wheel to snap like that in a piddling 5 mph collision than grooving down the pike at 80.

Still, I'll miss the Little Green Guy. True. His back window wiper and air condition didn't work anymore. The windshield was beginning to look like it had been sandpapered. But I'll miss the way he was able to snuggle in between Saabs and SUVs with out even touching them. The way you never had to worry about scratching him-- who would notice? The 40 mpg.

Life goes on.

But with $7/gallon gas on the horizon, it'll have to go on 40+ mpg.

---------------------------------------------
Links of Interest
Perversion: It's not just for humans anymore
Orangutans using spears
Intestinal yarn
Expelled again
Babbage redux
Jupiter in a soap bubble
Arsenic in fish oil
Vitamin D Deficiency makes you dumb
women dying young
brain damage from cancer chemotherapy
world's most amazing shrimp
world science festival
Sexpelled
robot jellyfish
has the world become a better place?
science meets art
oscar the naked dancing cockatoo
tiger splash park
fascinating world trade fair
curious expeditions
world in a bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment