Sunday, January 24, 2010

Atheism and The Downfall of Man


(Picture from here.)

For me, atheism is something that just sort of happened. There was a point in my life where I considered being a preacher. But then I discovered sex. The equation was fairly straightforward: Church says sex bad. Sex feels quite good. => Dump church.

But I didn't actually become an atheist until much, much later.

In fact it came about from a desire to convert to Judaism-- which I maintain is Nature's Perfect Religion. However, when it came to the point where I needed to make a decision, I looked in my heart and discovered somewhere along the line I had actually quit believing in God. After that, what was the point of conversion?

I did discuss this at one point with a friend of mine who subsequently emigrated to Israel. Her response was: "What does God have to do with it?"

It's possible I came by this honestly. After all, one of my Mother's heroes was Madalyn Murray O'Hair.

That said, I added it to my image of myself and went on. Sunday became just another day on the weekend.

This was a long time ago. Long before Christianity and Christian lunacy became fashionable.

Nowadays, it seems that atheists seem to have to somehow defend themselves for living a moral life without the intervening excuse of God.

I've become sensitive to this sort of persecution to the point that candidates that flout their religion get a regular downcheck in my political notebook. Candidates that don't are automatically presumed to be extra-honest, since they are penalized these days for not affirming their cozy personal relationship with Jesus.

I don't mind other people's religious beliefs. I just don't want to be bothered by them. Or blamed for their own problems.

It seems these days that a belief in God is connected to doing the right thing, all evidence to the contrary. In opposition, atheism is believed to signal the downfall of America without any evidence whatsoever.

I revel in my new found power.
=====================================
Wall of Idiots

The Faith Project
Discovery Institute's Darwin's Dilemma
Trijicon's Bible verses on rifles
Theodicy
John Freshwater
SCOTUS
Massachusetts Democrats: A story that makes sense

Links of Interest
The amazing tentacled snake
Octopus tool use
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Plug n play hospital
Orangutan as peacemaker
Iceland's penis museum
The Great Stalacpipe Organ

DIY
V: Christmas tree rocketry
Snow science
The Spoken Wood
Card and pencil constructions
Chicken coop door opener
Furniture from sawdust
Biodegradable seedling pots
Lathe captive ring
Flat pack cubicle
Seed sprouting bag
Tiny turtles
Smartphone mount
Plastic paper clips
Tootophone
Polynesian ice canoe
Coffee Bean Cooler
Flywheels

No comments:

Post a Comment