Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Question of Use

(Picture from here.)

Sometimes life is like a lobster fight with a butter knife: the weaponry just isn't up to the task.

I broke my lathe over weekend. Tried to peel down some maple I had in the back for a while to see if it was usable. There were a lot of grub holes containing wood eating grubs so it's not so likely. It's part of my attempt to take advantage of discarded things.

That's the basis for the DIY links at the bottom. I wouldn't say it's a new ethic with me but I've been trying to see how far I can push it. If you ever visit third world countries, one of the obvious visible differences is in the nature of trash. Here, we throw away a lot: old hoses, screws, nails, pieces of wall board, 2x4's, engine parts, etc. There you rarely see more than what can't be used or burned: styrofoam, bits of rags, splinters of wood, rotten food-- and not much of the latter.

So: I'm trying to see what can be recycled. I mean, really recycled. I now have a fair collection of old AC motors, a defunct air conditioner and dehumidifier, etc. There must be some use for all of this stuff.

I have no answers to this issue but I think the question of use is interesting.
================================
Links of Interest
Cannabinoids
The Autistic Gaze
V: A-Pod
EcoDebt
Chimp Prostitution
Neural Activity and Alzheimer's
Excel Stories and here
The Ice Free Pole

DIY
Composters: Here. Here.
Many Different Things
Sphericon
Cat Cave
Bicycle Stool
Pipe Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment