Monday, April 19, 2010

About "Bread and Circus"


Bread and Circus was the first story idea that my son and I figured out together. The story was written sometime in early 2006 and appeared in F&SF in 2008. It shows up today at the Book View Cafe. Go here and read it.

Ben and I came up with the idea about a year earlier when he was seven. The schedule for the bus pickup was such that I was the one that waited with him down at the bottom of the driveway. He was into soccer at the time.

One of the games we played while waiting for the bus was soccer using pine cones. Ben's imagination being what it was we were rarely something as mundane as humans playing soccer.

"I'm a T. rex," he yelled, coming in for the goal.

I stopped dead. Dinosaurs playing soccer. How cool was that?

"Can I use that?" I asked him.

"Sure," he said in a spasm of misplaced generosity.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! I said to myself. It's mine! All mine!

Like any other writer, I will steal story ideas from children.

================================
Wall of Idiots
Crowd madness and the internet
1989 Exxon spill keeps on giving

Links of Interest
Americanization of Mental Illness
Neanderthal fashion sense
Gator-Bird breathing
Evolution of fish gills
Top 10 science stories of 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment